Prosecutors on Thursday alleged with DNA evidence and law enforcement testimony that Letecia Stauch murdered her stepson Gannon Stauch.
The El Paso County lady is accused of killing her 11-12 months-aged stepson, Gannon, and faces prices including first-diploma murder. In the course of Thursday’s preliminary hearing, prosecutors, which includes District Legal professional Michael Allen, laid out evidence for the case.
– Back again from recess, Sgt. Rosario Hubbell with the El Paso County Sherriff is on the stand. He is testifying that Stauch took two pictures of Gannon asleep in bed on the early morning he went lacking.
– Blankets and the pillow on the mattress in the shots look to match bedding discovered with Gannon’s system in Florida, Hubbell testified.
– Investigators observed proof of blood splatter marks on the wall future to Gannon’s mattress, Hubbell stated. In the corner of the area there was a stain that experienced been cleaned, but the stain went through the carpet onto the cement down below. The stain was Gannon’s blood, Hubbell reported.
– Law enforcement tested a stain on Gannon’s mattress. The exam disclosed the stain was brought on by Gannon’s blood.
– Investigators located a handgun that experienced Stauch’s DNA on it on top rated of a dresser in the learn bed room she slept in, Hubbell testified.
– A firearms specialist believed the gun discovered on the nightstand was utilised to shoot Gannon due to the fact the bullet discovered in his head was constant with the ammunition applied in the weapon, Hubbell stated.
– Throughout cross evaluation, Hubbell reported there were two male DNA matches on the gun in addition to Stauch’s.
– Defense attorneys drew awareness to achievable contamination of the alleged crime scene when Hubbell touched some of the carpet in the place with his ungloved hand. Hubbell explained he claimed the contamination because it could impact DNA tests.
– Andrew Cohen of the FBI is now on the stand. He testified that only Stauch was home when Gannon is believed to have died.
– During cross assessment, defense lawyer Josh Tolini is seeking to forged doubt on Stauch’s involvement. He reported the again doorway of the residence was opened and shut 10 moments all around the time Gannon died. Cohen suggests he does not know who arrived in and out of the door.
SUMMARY OF Early morning TESTIMONY
Prosecutors on Thursday alleged with DNA proof and legislation enforcement testimony that an El Paso County girl murdered her stepson.
Letecia Stauch is accused of killing her 11-calendar year-aged stepson, Gannon, and faces expenses like initial-diploma murder. Throughout Thursday’s hearing, prosecutors, which include District Legal professional Michael Allen, laid out proof for the situation.
The court docket read testimony from a number of regulation enforcement officers who explained Gannon’s blood was learned on and near his bed, Stauch’s DNA was discovered on a weapon linked to the death and Stauch traveled to an space near in which Gannon’s human body was afterwards discovered.
Fourth Judicial District Judge Gregory Werner dominated that Stauch will carry on to be held without having bail at minimum till a Sept. 23 hearing relevant to accusations she experimented with to escape from jail.
A Florida clinical examiner established Gannon experienced a gunshot wound to his jaw, a skull fracture, a stab wound in his again and another in his chest, claimed Sgt. Jason Yoder of the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office in Florida.
A bullet was uncovered in Gannon’s head and two much more ended up recovered from his pillowcase, investigators said. A weapons pro established individuals bullets matched the form of ammunition made use of in a gun uncovered on the nightstand in Stauch’s bed room, Sgt. Rosario Hubbell of the El Paso County Sheriff’s workplace explained. The gun had Stauch’s DNA on it, but also the DNA of at minimum two other people today, Hubbell stated.
On the morning investigators consider Gannon was killed, Stauch took two pics of him lying in mattress, Hubbell explained. The bedding in individuals photographs appears to be the very same as bedding discovered with Gannon’s overall body when it was recovered from inside of a suitcase that appeared to have been thrown off a Florida bridge, investigators mentioned.
Investigators found out a blood stain on Gannon’s mattress, blood spatter on the wall close by and a big blood stain on the floor, Hubbell said. The carpet by itself appeared to have been cleaned, he mentioned, but the concrete beneath the carpet was stained. DNA evaluation done on the blood samples joined them to Gannon, he claimed. Some of Gannon’s blood was also found on Stauch’s shoe.
A different law enforcement official, Kevin Clark, walked as a result of place information that confirmed Leticia Stauch drove to Florida soon right after Gannon went missing and stayed in a resort just 3 miles from exactly where the physique was discovered.
Even further place knowledge led Colorado investigators to an location off of Highway 105 north of Palmer Lake, exactly where Stauch appeared to have parked her car or truck on several occasions. In that place, investigators located a board with blood on it that they decided belonged to Gannon, said El Paso County Sheriff’s Office Deputy John Sarkisian.
A red liquid was observed on the flooring of the garage at the household in the Lorson Ranch community of El Paso County exactly where Stauch and Gannon lived, said Sgt. Patrick Younkin with the El Paso County Sheriff’s office. Younkin stated he did not see evidence of violence in Gannon’s bedroom.
Defense lawyers sought to generate question that Stauch committed the murder by suggesting that an individual else could have entered the residence about the time Gannon died, and sought to tie home stability facts with the unknown DNA on the gun investigators uncovered.
But FBI agent Andrew Cohen testified that Stauch was the only particular person investigators consider could have committed the murder.
“I haven’t seen any evidence of anyone else coming into the house,” Cohen claimed.
The search for Gannon turned up proof indicating he was attacked with a knife or other weapon whilst in bed, authorities formerly explained. Stauch, who experienced publicly denied involvement in the boy’s disappearance, was arrested past year in Myrtle Beach front, S.C.
Thursday’s listening to experienced been delayed on multiple occasions, as Stauch moved to protect herself in court. A judge afterwards appointed a protection legal professional to stand for her. The demo was more delayed by two competency evaluations, which finally established Stauch was in good shape to stand trial.
Stauch was not existing in the courtroom Thursday. She waived her proper to look in court docket after a back again-and-forth with Choose Gregory Werner. “I have self-assurance in my protection counsel,” she said by means of a video feed from El Paso County jail.